Ten months ago, I made the move to Austin, TX. I absolutely love this city. It’s young, it’s casual, but still a great environment for freelancers + entrepreneurs. Austin is consistently voted best in many categories like city for 20-somethings, US dining destination, and city for single women. Located in the heart of Texas, Austin is a blue fish in a red ocean, politically. For this reason- and others- many people think of Austin as “not really Texas.” I’m going to have to strongly disagree on this one. While every city in Texas is unique, they’re all still very, undeniably Texas.
Texas pride is no joke. People of the Lone Star State take their heritage very seriously. They see themselves as very independent + individual with Texas BBQ, Texas style-country music, Texas beer, etc. For this reason, I find it very interesting people would isolate Austin from the rest of the state. It is normally meant to be a compliment but doesn’t always come off as such. Here are 12 reasons why Austin is totally Texan (because 512 is too many):
- It’s the capital. Duh.
- Austin has Grade A BBQ.
- While we’re on food, Austin knows tacos.
- There are tons of top rated breweries in Austin.
- Austin is all about its music scene.
- The University of Texas is here.
- Bluebonnets galore.
- They have 300 days of sunshine.
- Whether high school, college, or professional: football is BFD.
- Austin has a rich history + the rebellious spirit of true Texas.
- The city still keeps in touch with its two-stepping roots.
- Austin has diverse landscape with its urban center being nestled between lakes + hill country.
Austin is an incredible city of culture, heritage, and progress. In many ways, it might be the most Texas city left. Color me biased but there is no other city in Texas I’d rather live in. It certainly has a way of ruining its residents to every other city they may move to.
So, while Austinites have a strong allegiance to their city, they also take pride in being from the great state of Texas. What makes ATX “Texas” to you? Tell me in the comments!