If you have read my blog before, you have probably seen me reference The Skimm. This handy little newsletter is my life saver. There are dozens of reasons why I love The Skimm. Here are my top 5 reasons you should be reading it, too!
- I know what is going on in the world. If it wasn’t for my daily dose of The Skimm, I would have no idea what was happening in the world.
- It keeps me from looking foolish. Reading The Skimm regularly has allowed me to be able to engage in conversations with other people + not had to shy away when topics like Crimea are introduced.
- It’s not time-consuming. It takes less than five minutes to read through The Skimm every day. They do all the heavy reading for me.
- It’s given me a new community. Over 1 million people now subscribe to The Skimm. As part of the Skimm’bassador program, I am connected with like-minded individuals + get to take part in local events like tonight’s Sip & Skimm.
- It’s inspired me to learn more. I never really looked at the news before The Skimm– I found it overwhelming. Now I have the confidence to seek out news on my own + I know that I will have the background information I need to understand it.
If you aren’t quite sure what The Skimm is, let me give you the Skimmy (see what I did there). Basically, every weekday morning, you open your inbox (after 6 AM) + there is an email with all of the top news stories that are trending nationally + internationally. They cover everything from celebrity news to politics to sports to tech. The people at Skimm HQ have skimmed through all the news + given you the basics that you’ll need while providing links for those curious for more.
They also tell you “Good Things to Know,” provide book reviews + giveaways for things like tropical vacations + wine. They make special indexes for major news stories like elections + net neutrality to help you better understand. They keep a list of every Skimmer’s birthday + give you a shout out. Many days are sponsored by things like popular TV shows (think How to Get Away with Murder) + events. They also make it easy to share news bites on social media.