According to Punxsutawney Phil, winter is almost behind us! That means you don’t have much longer to finish your winter to do list. Since the weather will hopefully be taking a turn for the warmer soon, I have a February Challenge for all of us: be a tourist in your own city. We all have a list of cities we hope to explore, but have you taken time to appreciate how cool your own is?
Being new-ish to Austin, my bucket list is still very full. But when I think back, there are so many things popular in Memphis (my hometown) that I haven’t done. Unlike most Memphians, I’ve toured Graceland but I took for granted how cool the city really was. You’ve probably done the same the same thing. It’s time you changed that! Your city (or the nearest one to you) is probably super cool. Being a tourist is easier than you think.
- Plan a staycation. Whether you are staying at your own home or even booking a hotel room (pro level staycationing) act like you’re somewhere new. That means no errands, no cleaning, no daily grind that you would do.
- Stay away from old favorites (and chains). Everywhere you eat, everywhere you go should be someplace new. Whether you’ve always wanted to try it or just heard of it, go adventure. Websites like Thrillist + the DoStuff Network have great city guides.
- Make a list. I’m a big planner so I like do even schedule what days I do what but you don’t have to be so organized. Make a bucket list of things you want to do in your city that you’ve never done. Here are some ideas:
- Take an “official” city tour
- Brunch Spots
- Drink Spots
- Hip new or old classic restaurants
- Attend a Festival
- Super tourist-y attractions
- Photo-opp attractions
- Local music venues
- Walk a different neighborhood
- Hike a new trail
- Day trip to attractions outside the city
- Get your friends involved. They don’t have to spend the whole weekend, but odds are they have been wanting to do these activities, too.
- Document it. Instagram your staycation the same way you if you were in Barbados or New York. Just because you live there doesn’t make it any less exciting.
- Keep exploring. Even after your staycation ends, try to do new things in your city every month. You never know when you’ll come across a new favorite spot. It is impossible to do everything there is to do in your city. The more you explore it, the more you’ll love it.
Follows these staycation tips + you’ll be an expert on your city in no time! All your friends + visitors will come to you for tips on what to do + where to eat. You live there so you might as well fall in love with it!
Do you have any favorite Austin or Memphis spots I need to visit? What are your staycation hacks? Let me know in the comment section below.