Life is messy. The more technology makes life easier, the more mess we seem to take on. I don’t think I know anyone who regularly just goes home + vegges out anymore. We’re either taking care of kids, meeting friends, heading to the gym, or just doing more work. We have a lot on our plates; we’re busy. That said, I’ve begun to realize that “busy” is just an excuse. What we really mean when we say busy, is that our priorities are full. We have other things that are ahead of you or whatever the task may be – even if the task is taking care of ourselves.
It’s not to say people don’t care, but they have prior commitments. It’s a consistency thing. People do have other things to do, but if someone seems to never have time for you, they probably have other priorities and aren’t putting you in them. That’s fine, but you have to decide if you want to continue to prioritize them. The movie/book He’s Just Not That Into You teaches that if a guy wants to go on a date with you, he will. The same principle can be applied in every aspect of your life. If your friend wants to see you, they’ll find a way to fit you in. Whether that means a phone call instead of dinner or doing yoga together instead of drinks, people can make it happen.
You may be thinking, “You’re totally off base! I have so much to do.” Maybe I am or maybe you’ve just been going so hard for so long you haven’t stopped to take stock. You may unknowingly be blowing someone off. You may be blowing yourself off! People use busy as an excuse to not take care of themselves the way they should.
If you are this person, Maxie McCoy has some things to say to you:
- Busy is bullshit. It’s a cover for not wanting to do the harder work. Like saying no. Or sitting in your shit.
- When you slow down you might feel irrelevant. The ego is a crazy thing.
- Rushing rips your energy. Don’t do it. Plan ahead.
- Say no to others so you can say yes to yourself. Probably the greatest gift of them all.
- Dreams don’t happen because you’re busy. They happen because you’re intentional. Because you’ve made space to move the right things forward.
If you’re that busy person who is missing things you really care about, it may be time to reprioritize or find better solutions for meeting all your personal + professional responsibilities.