I’ve lived in Austin for just over 18 months. While my bucket list has plenty of things to check off, I feel comfortable calling Austin home. However, after spending a week in my hometown, Memphis, the word “home” gets a little tricky. Which place is really home? The place you can always go back to or the place where you’re starting a life? The more I thought about it, the more similarities and differences I saw between the two cities.
- Slogans: Keep Austin Weird vs. Choose 901
- Amazing Food (especially BBQ)
- Rich Music History
- Love of Local Products
- Vote Blue
- Both on Rivers
- Beale St. = Dirty Sixth
- Cooper Young District/Midtown are very Austin-y
- Active Artistic Scenes
- Strong University Presence (University of Memphis + Rhodes College, UT: Austin + St. Edwards)
- Booming Suburbs
- Love of Murals
- Austin is a lot safer.
- Austin is much more walkable/green friendly.
- Austin is a startup/entrepreneurs dream.
- Austin has plenty of hiking trails.
- Austin has more transplants while Memphis residents are largely home-grown.
- Memphis traffic is much better than Austin’s and crossing the city is a breeze.
- Memphis has a lower cost of living, particularly with real estate.
- Memphis has so much more parking.
- Memphis has a slower pace.
- Memphis has a professional sports team (Go Grizz).
There are plenty more similarities and differences, but these are the first that come to mind. Feel free to comment any others. Regardless of each city’s pros and cons, I am glad to have spent time in both. I feel pretty #blessed that I can call two places home and only time will tell where my life will truly take roots. Stay tuned.