Ireland is the homeland of many great people + innovations. In honor of St. Patrick’s Day next week, I would like to celebrate all the wonderful things Ireland has given us.
- People: Colin Farrell, Liam Neeson, Jennifer Connolly, Conan O’Brien, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Bono, Pierce Brosnan, Jamie Dornan, Denis Leary, Pat Monahan, C.S. Lewis, Robert Boyle, Jonathan Swift, Rory McIlroy, Oscar Wilde, Michael Gambon, Maureen O’Hara, Sinead O’Connor, and the Kennedys.
- Eats (and drinks): Jameson, Guinness, Bailey’s, chocolate milk, soda water, corned beef + cabbage, and of course, potatoes.
- Settlers of these great cities: Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Tulsa, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Pittsburg, Buffalo, Kansas City (Missouri), Cleveland, St. Louis, and Indianapolis.
- Innovations: submarines, color photography, modern chemistry, armored tank, aircraft ejection seat, rubber soles, trans-Atlantic calls, a cure for leprosy, modern tractor, guided missiles, modern whiskey distilling, and economics.
- My favorite thing: Redheads. I can’t find the proof the gene for red hair originates in Ireland, but I’m just going with common knowledge.
Visiting Dublin was one of my favorite parts of my study aboard adventure. The people were so friendly + lively. The scenery- incredible. If you want to see some amazing pictures, check out this Buzzfeed article.
So while you’re drinking your green beer + kissing leprechauns, don’t forget to thank St. Patrick + all the Irish for the great gifts they have given the world. What is your favorite Irish export? Tell me in the comments.