We’ve all heard the saying “Fake it ’til you make it.” But being confident isn’t quite that easy. The key to building confidence is to find things that boost your morale + integrate those things into your daily life. By finding things that lift you up, you can overcome any feelings of uncertainty or imposter syndrome.
- Assume everyone is into you. One of my favorite bloggers, Maxie McCoy, sent out a post last week on her newfound tip to confidence. You’ll no longer be intimidated or feel judged when you think everyone around you thinks the best of you. Believe it until they prove otherwise.
- Get Pretty. Nothing makes me feel confident like swiping on my new, favorite coral lipstick. Feeling good about your physical self can give you the boost you need for your next job interview- even if it’s over the phone. Looking at yourself all dolled up gives you a surprising confidence boost.
- Wear your power piece. For me, it is a pair of kickass booties. Every time I wear them I feel like I could run the world. So find a LBD, necklace, or entire outfit that you can wear for speaking events, job interviews, and networking. This piece should unlock your inner Beyoncé.
- Get better friends. Surround yourself with friends who not only love + appreciate you, but tell you so. Find people who will lift you up + encourage you to do things out of your comfort zone. Get rid of those who bring you down or make you doubt yourself.
- Create a pump up playlist. I have a playlist full of songs that make me feel powerful + energized. I listen to it on the way to meetings + when working out; it really pumps me up. If you don’t want to create one yourself, try one from Spotify. Confidence Boost + Swagger are two of my favorites.
- Get in your power pose. Body language has the power to convey confidence + show people that they can’t walk all over you. Standing in a “power pose” even when you don’t feel confident can raise your testosterone + cortisol levels, giving you the boost you need to rock your presentation.
- Embrace a ritual. Maybe your power outfit is a lucky sweater. Maybe you listen to TSwift before every date. Whatever it is you do or say (see #8) that helps you feel comfortable + confident, do it! Anything that makes you feel better about yourself is worth doing even if it’s “silly.”
- Recite your mantra. Create a mantra for yourself + repeat it every morning while you get ready. Think about what you wish someone would say to you + say it to yourself. Telling yourself that you love yourself + how great you are will make you believe it. Create yours in 3 simple steps.
- Surround yourself with inspiring things. Like your power piece, surround yourself with pretty things that make you feel good about yourself. My apartment is full of fluffy pillows, sweet-smelling candles, and inspirational quotes. Being surrounded by things you like makes you happier and more positive.
- Better yourself. I would say I am 50% more confident on days I work out. Whatever area of your life makes you feel insecure or less than, work to make it better. Wish you were a better cook? Pick up Cravings + get cooking. Feel bad you’re never informed about current events? Get The Skimm.
- Remind yourself why you are great. Similarly to developing a mantra, write down your professional + personal achievements + skills (i.e. landing a huge client, your luscious locks, finding the perfect shade of nail polish). Read the lists when you are feeling down about that area of your life.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Thanks to the urging of a friend (see #4), I recently went out of my comfort zone. Instead of hinting that I wanted something, I straight out asked for it. The amazing thing is, once I asked, I didn’t even care if I got it anymore. Putting all my cards on the table was so much more refreshing than scary.
Bonus tip: Smile! Smile even when you don’t want to. Smiling is so contagious your confidence will fill the room. One of my favorite quotes was written by Marianne Williamson + tells how being more confident in ourselves allows others to do the same:
I hope you take these words + tips to heart. Let me know your confidence boosting hacks + send me your favorite inspirational quotes!