One of the best purchases I made for myself in 2016 was a foam roller. This $20 ($5 off thanks to Cartwheel) purchase has been one of the best self-care items I could have asked for. The first time I ever used a foam roller was in my college pilates class + I did not love how much it hurt, but man did it feel good. Here are some reasons why I love my foam roller.
- Working in marketing + blogging, I spend a lot of my day sitting. This is not so great for my back + hips which are constantly tight. Adding a foam roller in my stretching routine really gets my back to pop + my hips to loosen up.
- It makes hard workout days so much better. I also recently purchased a magic circle which is much harder than it seems. The day after using it for the first time every movement hurt. Luckily rolling out my thighs with my foam roller helped tremendously.
- You can work out with it. My foam roller came with a DVD full of workouts you can do that don’t just massage + loosen your muscles but strengthen them. Check out these ideas from Shape.
- As a girl who loves a good deep tissue massage (shout out to Beth at Viva), a foam roller is a decent supplement. If I got a massage every time I wanted one I would be broke but luckily the foam roller can have some of the same effects.
- Foam rollers can also help you increase your flexibility + balance. Balance is not my strong suit so using my foam roller helps lock in my core + helps build up my balance.
Trust me, getting a foam roller will without a doubt increase your quality of life. Whether you’ve had a long day or a tough work out, rolling out your muscles will help you relax + wind down. Buy one now, thank me later.