Self-care is very important, but it is often overlooked by many women. We get busy taking care of other people or working + neglect ourselves. To that I say, no more! Just like an oxygen mask in a plane, you have to take care of yourself before you can fully take care of others. Below are just a few ways you can take care of Y-O-U.
- Create a morning or evening routine for your skin. Doing a little extra every day whether that is applying a night cream or using toner, your skin will thank you.
- Hydrate. Your skin, hair, + body, in general, are happier + healthier when they have enough water. A few extra ounces a day could make a world of difference for your energy level, too.
- Release muscle tension. Whether that is by getting a massage or just using a foam roller, nothing makes you fill better as quickly as loosening up your tight muscles. If you don’t have a foam roller + don’t have time or money for a massage, create a 5-minute stretching routine to help loosen you up.
- Get regular facials. Whether at home or at a spa. I make sure to use a face mask once a week to keep my skin smooth + clear. I like to mix it up with sheet masks + exfoliating ones.
- Find a work out you enjoy. Whether its a yoga class, boot camp, or just a brisk walk, finding an exercise you enjoy isn’t just good for your body, but for your mind.
- Indulge. It’s okay to give in every now + then + splurge on something you love. Whether that is takeout from your favorite restaurant, a new candle, or a day at the spa, indulgence is good for the soul.
- Enjoy a cup of tea or another warm beverage. A cup of honey vanilla chamomile tea is one way to help me unwind + relax after a long week. If all else fails, wine can be a stronger solution.
- Take a bath. This is my favorite form of self-care. Candles, a bath bomb, and a smooth Spotify playlist create the perfect atmosphere to let your cares slip away + just be.
- Do the little things that keep you sane. I always have to have my nails painted. I think the last time I had bare nails was when I was 12. I make sure that every 7-10 days I make time to give myself a little manicure + keep them looking fresh.
- Read a book. Many of the women I talked to about their self-care routine’s said that they make sure to read a book every month or at least regularly to get a little escapism.
- Make your bed. Your bed should be a serene place to return to every day, not a place with half on, balled up sheets. Making your bed will not only make your bedroom cozier, but it will also make you feel a little more like you have your life together.
- Have an emergency fund. Experts suggest you have at least three months salary put away. Some now say even up to six months. Having one will alleviate so much stress when you need new tires, your dog gets sick, or your friend wants you to buy a $600 bridesmaids dress (kind of an emergency right?).
- Collect on your debts. It may be a little awkward, but you the sooner you collect any money you’ve lent out, the less awkward it will be later.
- Start a savings account. Whether you know what you’re saving up for or just want a nest egg for when you do, having that money in the bank will make you feel a lot better about planning your trip to Greece or buying a new car.
- Start funding your retirement. It is never too early to start. Take care of future now
- Pay more than you should (if you can). Whether it’s credit card bills or student loans, paying more than your monthly minimum will help you pay them off faster + you’ll accrue less interest.
Take a little time for yourself today, you won’t regret it. What are your tips for overall self-care? Tell me in the comments!