Like every year, one of my goals in 2018 is to read more books. It’s always hard to find the time to do this, but so far this year I’ve got some tricks up my sleeve to hopefully encourage me to reach my goal. The first + easiest trick was to join my office book club. I know have accountability partners + a deadline to get books read. Thanks to my 45-minute commute, I got an Audible subscription. While it isn’t practical for all the books I hope to read, it does work for some + spices up the ride.
Hopefully, in the coming months, I’ll have new book reviews posted, I already have a few in the works. As for my reading goals, I’d like to read at least 12 books this year. Here’s what is on my reading list.
Self-Development Reading List
- The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins teaches you how to enrich your life + destroy doubt in 5 seconds.
- Adulting by Kelly Williams Brown is a book I’ve already read (+ loved) that has been expanded with 30% more tips on how to be a functional adult. I am sure it will not disappoint.
- Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis spoke to me from the aisles of Target. I think it’s subtitle “stop believing the lies you were told so you can become who you were meant to be” says it all. ✅
- I’m Judging You by Luvvie Ajayi takes a sassy look at social media, pop culture, how we let it affect our lives, and most importantly, how to do better. ✅
- Kind is the New Classy by Candance Cameron Bure inspired my May downloads! Candace preaches kindness as the solution to dealing with the world’s mean streak.
- Money Honey by Rachel Richards – a fellow Skimmbassador – is a “simple 7-step guide for getting our financial $hit together – I know this is something I need to do.
- Staying Stylish by Candice Cameron Bure tells the beauty, wellness, and style tips of the Hallmark superstar + fitness inspiration.
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson uses humor + science to back up his argument to do as the title says – it’s almost an opposite approach of the next book on the list. ✅
Entertainment Reading List
- Book of Joe by Jeff Wilser focuses on the key moments that shaped the charismatic + heartwarming force that is Joe Biden – my favorite aging politician. ✅
- I’m Fine…And Other Lies by Whitney Cummings allows the actor-director-comedian-producer author to tell her own story with humor + realness.
- Notorious RBG by Irin Carmon + Shana Knizhnik tells the incredible story of the life + influence of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. ✅
- That Woman by Anne Sebba tells a fascinating tale of the 20th century Meghan Markel, American-divorcee Wallis Simpson who was worth more than a thrown.
- When Life Gives You Lululemons by Lauren Weisberger isn’t out yet (June 5) but I am so excited to read this sequel to The Devil Wears Prada. It follows Miranda’s other assistant Emily in her life as an image consultant in Conneticut. This is going to be my summer beach read + it’s the only fiction book on my reading list!
- Year of Yes by Shondra Rhimes imparts the wisdom of the TGIT mastermind + her journey to say “yes” more + inspires you to do the same. ✅
- Yes Please by Amy Poehler is supposed to be one of THE funniest books out there + I can’t wait to listen to Amy tell her own story (this is an Audible book for sure). ✅
I also want to read one of Mindy Kahling’s books + a Jane Austen novel, but can’t decide which ones! What do you suggest? Tell me that + what books I should add to my reading list in the comment section below.
Update: I know there are only 7 books checked off on this list, but for those wondering, I did complete my 12 book challenge. The other books I read were Anna Karenina, This Will Only Hurt a Little, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me, I’ll Be There For You, and Girl Logic. Some of these can be found on the 2019 millennial reading list.