I get it, Valentine’s Day can be rough. If you’re single (even by choice) it can be a reminder that you don’t have that fairytale-evoking partner. If you’re in a relationship it can put a lot of pressure on both you + your S.O. to be romantic or it can highlight that you aren’t with who or where you want to be. Or maybe, you are perfectly happy + loving love. That doesn’t mean there isn’t some wisdom for you below.
Regardless of where you are, there is something you are missing about Valentine’s Day: loving YOU! So often we put all our attention on work or school or taking care of everyone else around us that we leave very little bandwidth for ourselves. It’s time to stop that nonsense + start refilling our own cups. If you’re a newbie to self-love/self-care, don’t worry. I, the woman with 12 different face mask varieties + a candle addiction, am here to guide through this journey of appreciating the most important person in your life (YOU)!
Whether alone or single, take some time tomorrow or even this weekend to get in touch with yourself + make sure you are taken care of + happy. No matter how little time you have, you can practice some self-love with some of the ideas below.
5 – 15 minutes
- List 5 things great things about you! Be sure to include at least one physical trait + one personality trait.
- Have a dance party to your favorite song.
- Savor a cup of warm tea or cocoa with no phone + no distractions – just you + your thoughts.
- Throw something extra in your cart that you love (shoes, candy, nail polish, etc).
- Stand outside + soak in some fresh air + sunshine or listen to the rain.
- Pop your blanket in the dryer for a warm, snuggly treat.
- Get your power pose on. Do your best Wonder Woman impression for at least 2 minutes for an immediate boost of confidence.
20 – 55 minutes
- Slather on your favorite face mask + let it go to town pampering your skin.
- Dry brush or use a sugar scrub to exfoliate then moisturize your skin.
- Take a steaming hot bath (wine optional but encouraged).
- Have an overdue phone call with your long-distance bestie or mom.
- Clean out that one drawer or area that has been driving you crazy.
- Flip through a magazine. Seriously, when was the last time you did this?
- Get a blowout, eyebrow wax, or other beauty treatment.
- Listen to a podcast you love. One of my favorite ladies just launched P.S. I Love This Podcast, a great listen for rom-com addicts + hopeless romantics.
- Put on a movie or show you love but haven’t seen in forever (My faves: How to Be Single, Mamma Mia, New Girl).
- Give yourself a mani-pedi or, even better, get one done professionally.
- Purge your closet. You’ll feel lighter with fewer clothes + are sure to find something you’ve been missing (plus, more room for new additions).
- Get lost in a good (or bad) book.
- Take your favorite workout class or try a new one. Been dying to try barre? This is your excuse.
- Take a solid nap or go to bed early. You deserve it.
- Buy yourself something pretty or just take a leisurely stroll through Target (my happy place).
- Make your favorite meal + settle in to savor it by candlelight. Who says you can’t date yourself?
Make yourself your own #WomanCrushWednesday + get your self-love on! Looking for more ideas? I am LOVING this self-love daily guide by Glitter Guide.