Pop culture has a way of inspiring us to do things, buy things, and even go places. After sitting through both Mamma Mia 2 + Crazy Rich Asians this summer, I couldn’t get over how beautiful the scenery was. I’ve wanted to go to Greece since I saw the very first Mammia Mia so many years ago. This got me thinking, what other movies had such picturesque settings that they inspired people to get on a plane + explore the world. I asked my favorite brain trust, the Skimmbassadors, to help me come up with a list of places we all need to visit based on movies + TV shows we love! Check out the top movie-inspired travel destinations.
Movie-Inspired Travel Destinations
- Under the Tuscan Sun Tuscany – This Diane Lane movie set in the Italian countryside will make you want a glass of wine while watching the sunset.
- Letters to Juliette Verona, Italy – Verona is definitely on my list after this film. Again the Italian countryside is gorgeous + you get a great view of what smaller cities have to offer.
- Eat, Pray Love Italy, Bali, New York City – Julia Roberts goes on quite the journey in this movie. She takes us on a world tour that gives us plenty of inspiration for movie-inspired travel destinations.
- Sex in the City New York City – If you didn’t want to pack your bags and move to Manhattan after watching this show then you’re nuts. Not only do we get NYC, but we also got to go to the Hamptons, Paris, and even more locations in the movies.
- Wild Pacific Crest Trail – I’m not a big hiker, but if you are, watching Reese Witherspoon rediscover herself on the trails will definitely have you lacing up your boots.
- Lord of the Rings – Obviously you can’t go visit the Shire. But you can see where the movies were filmed + visit the gorgeous New Zealand landscapes.
- Jurassic Park Hawaii – Unfortunately, you won’t see any dinosaurs but you can see where they shot the movie. You can even pull a Mike & Dave and ride through the scenery.
- Sound of Music Salzburg, Austria – This beloved children’s classic is set in some of the most beautiful hills in Europe. Who wouldn’t want to frolick through them?
- Game of Thrones Croatia – Pretty much everyone is a fan of this show. It may be set in a fantasy world, but the landscape of Croatia sets up the backdrop for that magical world.
- Safe Haven Wilmington, North Carolina – This is my favorite Nicholas Sparks movie. It is also the hometown of my sorority little. It isn’t quite as quaint as the movie but it is still an adorable beach town.
- Crazy, Rich Asians Singapore – The smash hit of the summer took us from NYC to the gorgeous land of Singapore. It was already on my list of places to visit in Asia, but now it has definitely moved up.
- Mamma Mia + The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Santorini, Greece – These tow moves are absolutely incredible. Santorini is #1 on my travel bucket list thanks to Mamma Mia. The ocean, the buildings, the simplicity – Santorini is a dream.
- P.S. I Love You Ireland – Ireland is also a dream. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t hope to go to Ireland one day for my own similar spiritual awakening like Hilary Swanks’ character has in this movie.
- The Holiday Surrey, England – Of course, LA is highlighted in the film, but its all about Surrey. The English countryside is frankly underrated in modern films for its beauty + peacefulness.
- Walter Mitty Greenland, the Himalayas, Iceland – Like Eat, Pray, Love, this movie takes you on a journey across countries + continents. Iceland is a super hot destination right now + this movie could be why.
No matter your movie taste, I think we can all agree we’d be lucky to visit any of these movie-inspired travel destinations. Have you considered taking a trip to its location? I’m dying to take the road trip from Elizabethtown.