Last year, I had the goal to read 12 books + I did! What I did not do, was read all the books I had on my 2018 list. The end of 2018 brought some amazing book releases. which I chose to read instead. For this year’s millennial woman’s reading list, some books made a comeback and come I have already finished, but hope you will take the time to enjoy. I will once again be reading (or listening) to 12 books – though I doubt any will produce as much pride to finish as Anna Karenina. Check out the incomplete list below of books millennial women should be reading this year + the one that is the center of my 2019 resolution.
The Self-Improvement Books
- How to Sew a Button and Other Things Your Grandmother Knew How to Do by Erin Bried is a book about all the things women (and men for the most part) should be able to do as functional adults. It is also the focus of my New Year’s resolution.
- How to Get Sh*t Done by Erin Falconer is the tale of a woman making it happen on her own. She is then kind enough to share that wisdom with us.✅
- Gracious by Kelly Williams Brown gives tips on etiquette with the same flair + sass as her first book, Adulting. If it’s half as good, we’re in for a treat. ✅
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert tells us how to tackle what we love most and face what we fear. I’ve heard this should be on any millennial woman’s reading list.
- Girl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis is a semi-follow-up to Girl, Wash Your Face – which you know I was all about by my review.
- Atomic Habits by James Clear uses evidence-based strategies to help you transform your life through small but effective changes. Check out my review! ✅
The Celeb Authored Books
- This Will Only Hurt a Little by Busy Philipps was my most anticipated book of 2018. I LOVE Busy + follow her religiously (including her book recommendations a la I’ll Be There For You). Busy spills all the tea of basically her entire life from childhood trauma to modern-day marriage woes + name drops in all the best ways. ✅
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling is a light + easy read/listen for anyone who wants to learn a little more about Mindy Kaling + get a book checked off their list quickly. The brevity of this book does not negate its charm. ✅
- The Everygirl’s Guide to Life by Maria Menounos gives her advice on living life just like her diet + fitness book, which I loved. I’m sure this will be no different.
The Actually About History Books
- It Ended Badly by Jennifer Wright details the 13 worst breakups in history from Henry VIII to Oscar Wilde. Its history with a side of drama – all her books are. This may not be the typical entry for a millennial woman’s reading list, but I think it will be fascinating.
- I’ll Be There For You by Kelsey Miller is a book by a Friends-fanatic for Friends fanatics that tells all the tales about the show, it’s making, and its cultural relevancy in the 90s + today. ✅
- Bad Girls Throughout History by Ann Shen is a book I’ve had for a while, but never got into reading. After seeing Mary Queen of Scots (which was amazing + traumatizing), I want to learn more about the badass women of yesteryear who deserved better. I’ll be reading about ~10ish women per week + sharing any notable ones with you!
- China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan is the sequel to Crazy Rich Asians that will be released sometime in 2020. I suggest you dive in this year to build up your anticipation!
- Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple is the story of a 15-year-old girl who searches for her anxiety-ridden mother after the latter disappears. The movie has a star-studded cast featuring Cate Blanchett, Kristen Wiig, Judy Greer, Laurence Fishburne, and Troian Bellisario.
I have no doubt that I can make it through at least 12 books in 2019. My real goal is 15 + I have a feeling I may swap some of these out for new releases. I also hope to enjoy another classic. Perhaps I’ll read something by or about a Jane or maybe Sylvia Plath. Send me recs if you got them. If you want more books to add to your millennial woman’s reading list, check out my list from last year!