Across the country, law students are throwing their hats in the air + saying goodbye to those hallowed halls forever. Despite what Legally Blonde tells us, you don’t jump right into practicing law, even if you already have a job lined up. Before you can officially add Esq. to the end of their names, they have to pass the bar exam. Three years of test and briefs aside, the bar exam is make-or-break for most lawyers who want to actually practice. The exam itself is insanely intensive and differs state by state. Instead of giving my graduating friends champagne or a desk plaque, I’m giving them something much more useful: a bar exam study kit.
Most law students take the bar in June or July. This gives them a little over a month upon graduation to study + prep for the exam. It is their full-time jobs to get ready for this exam. This is why I love this bar exam study kit idea. It gives your friend, daughter, nephew, whomever, things they may need to help them focus on studying as well as de-stressing.
Bar Exam Study Kit
There are a few categories of items you’ll want to include in this exam care package. Feel free to mix + match things to personalize it for your loved one!
- Hydration – Whether it’s a water bottle, sparkling water, or some other form of H2O, hydration is key to giving you energy + taking care of your body even when you’re focused on studying. A small humidifier could also help with this.
- Energy – Caffeine is a must. Whether it’s coffee, tea, or even diet coke, choose the method of caffeine your bar study kit recipient prefers.
- Nourishment – Those studying need to eat. They need fast something quick + easy to make but also that provides some nourishment. Ideas may be protein bars, oatmeal, smoothie bombs, or Spaghettios.
- Reward – Give them something they enjoy + can look forward to whether that is candy or chips or cheese. Something they can eat while they study as a reward or break.
- Study Materials – Help them get their study on with highlighters, notecard, sticky notes, etc. These things will make studying and organizing things a little bit easier.
- Distraction – Give them something that will be a small distraction but nothing too severe like an adult coloring book.
- Relaxation – Studying for hours upon hours is majorly stressful + they’re going to need a way to relax (see the other reason for this bar exam study kit). Items like a candle or face mask are great ways to help someone de-stress. Mental health matters!
- Something Cozy – Long hours of studying means a lot of time sitting + studying. Give them some cozy items like slippers, a robe, or socks. Some scrunchies or hair ties may also be a big help.
- Luck – Give them a little luck with a four-leaf clover, crystals, a lucky penny, or your own personal luck talesman. The placebo effect is real!
- Encouragement – Give them something to help them through when they’re losing hope. Write them a heartfelt letter, create fake cards from celebrities, or create a vision board of their legal heroes.
No matter what you put in your bar exam study kit your law school grad is sure to appreciate the things you provide to help them study for + pass the bar. If you’ve taken the bar, what do you wish you had? Tell me over on Instagram!