This may come as a shock, but Mother’s Day is right around the corner. In fact, it is just over a week away! If this news is giving you heart palpitations, I feel ya. Shopping for your mom can be hard. It’s even harder when you only have eight days. Luckily for you, I am coming to your rescue. Below you’ll find gifts your mom is sure to love + that you can easily get by the time Mother’s Day rolls around. You’ll seem thoughtful + not someone who Googled “last minute Mother’s Day gifts.”
Moms are the best. They (typically) birthed us, fed us, and kept us alive when we were too dumb + naive to do it ourselves. I don’t know about your mom, but my mom continues to help me keep my life together + supports me through all my endeavors. This is why we should all strive to get our mothers something they actually want. That may seem impossible to do when you’re shopping for last minute Mother’s Day gifts, but it is totally doable.
- Magazine subscription – My mom loves magazine’s but hardly ever buys them for herself. For the last couple of years, I’ve gotten her a subscription to HGTV magazine. The best part about this gifting a magazine is that since the first edition likely won’t get to her before Mother’s Day, you can buy it at your local store as a physical representation of the gift.
- A DIY herb garden – Head over to your local Home Depot + grab all the supplies you’ll need to create an herb garden for her to enjoy. Even if you live in a city like NYC, you can create the garden on a window. You’ll need containers like mason jars, dirt, and 3-4 herbs she uses commonly. I like to do basil, mint, and parsley.
- New entertainment – If there isn’t an event like a concert or baseball game give her the gift of limitless entertainment with a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu. Don’t be surprised if she comes at you with facts from the latest documentary or accidentally spoils an ending of your favorite show.
- Her favorite entertainment – If your mom isn’t really the streaming type, go the other way. Give her something she already loves. Whether that is a box set of Designing Women or every Hugh Grant movie you can get your hands on, give her something she can glean hours of enjoyment from. A new book series in her favorite genre is also an excellent option for last minute Mother’s Day gifts.
- Class – No matter what your mom is interested in, there is surely a course in your area she can take to learn something new. Your community center, local art school, small businesses and local Sur la Table likely offer classes that would pique her interest. If you live in an area without a lot of classes to be taken, think about apps like Babel and sites like Skillshare + Brit & Co. that teach classes virtually.
- Gift basket – While you may not have time to purchase a gift basket, you can easily create your own. I love the idea of a relaxation basket. Include a candle, eye mask, nail polish, bath bomb, and a delicious hot tea.
- Exclusive access – Maybe your mom is like the coolest person out there… maybe she is not so much. If that’s the case, up her cool factor by taking her to a hip new restaurant, work out class, or something trendy (that she would actually like). This will make her feel ahead of the curve + like she got in on something before everyone else.
- Gift cards – Personally, I think gift cards are super lame as gifts because they put a price tag on your relationship. HOWEVER, you know much better than I what your mom could benefit from + gift cards are the simplest of the last minute Mother’s Day gifts. If this is the route you plan to go, be sure to get her an amazing + heartfelt card.
- Personalized coupons – You may think it lame, but a coupon book full of realistic ideas can actually be a useful gift. Skip “5 Free Hugs” and opt for something like “Clean Your Window Seals” or “Run Your Saturday Errands,” etc.
- Something local – Memphis is full of adorable boutiques + shops. Go to a place like Saddle Creek, Cooper-Young, Broad Ave, etc. You can pick her up a great kimono, serving platter, or work of art + support a small business at the same time!
Even though time is ticking to Mother’s Day, you can still get your mom something special. You don’t have to resort to ordering something off Amazon you don’t love just to get it here in time. Take one of these last minute Mother’s Day gift ideas + get her something she will remember for years.