Traveling isn’t cheap. Whether you choose to drive, take a bus or fly, you will spend hundreds of dollars getting where you need to go. As someone who lives 10 hours from home + 1200 miles from her boyfriend, getting cheap flights is something I have spent a lot of time looking into. Whether you’re going to visit family, friends or just want to take a vacation, getting cheaper flights is good for your bottom line. Here are some tips + tricks I have picked up.
When to buy:
- The best time to buy your ticket is 54 days before your flight.
- If that isn’t possible, book between 104-29 days prior.
- NEVER book within two weeks of your flight unless you just like spending unnecessary amounts of money or it can’t be avoided.
- If you’re traveling to Europe, 151 days before your desired flight date is the magic time
When to fly:
- Tuesdays at 3PM Eastern is prime ticket buying time.
- If your dates are flexible- Wednesday, Tuesday + Saturday are the cheapest days to fly.
- Early morning flights + lunchtime flights are usually the cheapest.
- Use a site like KAYAK to compare prices of the different “discount” sites.
- Delete your cookies when you look so they don’t know you’ve looked before.
- See if flying into/out of a nearby airport is cheaper (It is much cheaper to fly into Little Rock than to Memphis).
- Check Southwest or Frontier to see if they have any deals.
- Follow airlines on social media to see one-hour sales that may pop up.
- Join frequent flyer programs so your flights will add up. Having a credit card with frequent flyer perks can help you get a free flight very quickly.
- Subscribe to airfarewatchdog. It sends you alerts on specific routes when prices are low.
If you’re looking to earn miles fast, I recommend the American Express Delta SkyMiles card. If you spend $2,000 in the first few months, you can earn 50k miles. If you spend an additional $1,000 or refer a friend, you get an additional 10k miles! This is how I plan to get myself to Europe. If you want the card + want to help me, subscribe through my link for this deal!
There are plenty of resources out there to help you get the cheapest flights. Do you have any tips on getting good airfare deals? Comment them below!