You may or may not know that I have a long commute. It takes me about 45 minutes each way to get work. This leaves me without about an hour and a half per day of dead time. Typically, I’m a big fan or car rides – I even love roads trips. Despite that, I HATE commuting. In the morning especially, it feels like a waste of time. Its 45 minutes of sleep or getting ready or coffee time I could have enjoyed were I not in a car. More and more I am looking for new ways to get through a long commute.
One of the ways I get through a long commute is by listening to things that entertain me. From podcasts to audiobooks, taking that 45 minutes to learn + expand my mind seems like a better use than sitting in silence or jamming out to TSwift again (although sometimes that is my choice. Here’s what I’m listening to these days.
- P.S. I Love This Podcast – I am obsessed with this podcasts. Sarah + Dana discuss your favorite 2000s rom-coms, Jane Austen novels, and Disney Channel Original Movies. Let your “I love love” freak flag fly + check them out!
- Anna Karenina – I had lofty dreams to finish this in quarter three, but that did not happen. A may have to get through a long commute, but 35 hours is a lot to get through. Don’t get me wrong, Maggie Gyllenhaal is a delight to listen to, but I can’t live in 19th century Russia every day.
- This Will Only Hurt a Little – Busy Philips book came out TODAY + I. am. pumped. I love Busy + her work. I am so excited to hear her stories literally first hand as she is the narrator. If you can get books narrated by the author (like Girl, Wash Your Face, The Year of Yes, Yes Please, etc.), do it. I love hearing the stories in the cadence + tone of those who wrote them.
- RISE – Speaking of Girl, Wash Your Face + Rachel Hollis, I am very into her podcast, RISE (she also has one RISE Together with her husband Dave). Rachel gets real + gives amazing advice to help you no matter where you are in life. She’s also relatable as hell + has great guests.
- Music – Sometimes I do need some tunes. I am a big fan of Spotify premium + have made several playlists from the top songs of each year to 00s lady jams. One of my current favorite playlists is by 90s cover band, Zoodust. Listen to it now to tap into your inner 90s-kid.
- Spotify curated playlists – While I love the playlists I have made, Spotify has made some pretty amazing ones. I live in the “mood” section to find something that tickles my fancy.
All of the things on this list help me get through a long commute. Getting an Audible subscription has been a great tool to help me get through my reading list. So far this year I am 9 books down. I have no doubt I will get through 12 this year. After I finish Busy’s book, I’ll be diving into I’ll Be There For You: The One About Friends. I can’t imagine it will be a hard one to get through…
Head over to my Instagram to let me know how you get through a long commute!