Your skin, it’s a wonderful, volatile thing. It’s both sensitive + strong; both needy + independent. Whether you have oily skin or dry, your skin takes a little love + care to keep it happy. That’s why we call it skincare. As you age there are more + more things you should do to take care of your skin. Let’s be honest, ain’t nobody got time for that. But you really, really *need* to make a little time to take care of the organ that helps you look alive + keeps everything inside safe + warm.
So now you’re asking? What’s the big deal? How can skin be that important? I’m glad you asked. Your skin is often a great barometer of your overall health. You don’t want to wonder if it is dry for medical reasons or if it is because you haven’t moisturized since November. It’s also your largest organ + deserves the respect that carries. Taking care of your skin can also be a great outlet for your anxiety + stress in our batshit, crazy world. Clear, healthy skin can increase your confidence + allow you to own any room you walk into.
I know, you’re sold. But you’re also really lazy (girl, same). I get how hard it can be to dedicate hours every week to take care of something that is kind of just, there. But here are some simple skincare rules + routines to help you keep your skin clean + clear.
The Skincare Rules
- Drink all the water. It is the easiest way to feed your skin.
- Get enough sleep. This is when your body (skin included) does most of its regeneration.
- TAKE OFF YOUR MAKEUP.
- Develop at night-time routine. I have two night-time routines. One is very basic because lazy. It consists of taking off my makeup with Micellar water + applying a night cream. The other is a little more cumbersome but totally worth it to do at least a couple times a week.
- Remove makeup with a gentle cleanser.
- Use an exfoliating scrub.
- Apply toner.
- Apply rosehip oil.
- Slather on night cream.
- Do not get a sunburn, but if you do, take care of it ASAP. Fake tanner is underrated.
- Exfoliate the crap out of your skin. Your body shed skin cells every. single. day. Help it out by dry brushing, using a scrub, or going in with a loofah.
- Create an easy morning routine.
- Use a gentle cleanser.
- Apply toner. I cannot express the importance of toner enough. Use it!
- Use a moisturizer with SPF – the SPF is very important.
- Put on a face mask at least once a month. I go for once a week because I have a face mask buying problem. It’s an amazing way to end a long day or treat yourself on a Sunday.
- Shave with body oil. I’ve been shaving this body oil since high school + it cuts down on your need to moisturize post-shower.
- Detox when you need it. What you put in your body has such an effect on your skin. I highly recommend a weekend cleanse from caffeine, processed food, and sugar to give you a little refresh.
Now that I’ve given you the rules, these are the skincare products I love. Formula 10.0.6 is one of my most favorite brands, as well as Tony Moly. I am a discount beauty queen so I like to keep my routine as inexpensive as it is easy. All of the products below can be found at Ulta, Target, or Amazon.