I’ve been going on + off of Keto all this year. While I have been doing intermittently, I have learned great low carb recipes. One of my favorites are these cauliflower breadsticks. While I didn’t really eat it growing up, I have been amazed at the versatility of this vegetable. One recipe I learned several years ago was a cauliflower patties recipe by Maria Menounos’. Maria is the author of several books including The Everygirl’s Guide to Diet and Fitness + The Everygirl’s Guide to Cooking. The latter is where you’ll find this delicious recipe.
Here’s the deal with cauliflower patties: they are not a substitute for meat. Don’t get wrong, I love the way they taste, but to me, they are a category of their own + not a substitution for a burger. If you try to think of them as a burger, you’ll just be disappointed. The cauliflower patties recipe below by Maria Menounos makes approximate a dozen patties. I like to serve mine on Hawaiian rolls or slider buns.
Maria Menounos’ Cauliflower Patties Ingredients
- 1 head of cauliflower chopped + boiled until tender
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 a cup of bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of minced, fresh parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Olive oil (for frying)
- Slices provolone (optional)
- In a large bowl, drain and mash the cauliflower. Be sure to squeeze out excess water to create a better consistency. You don’t need it to be as dry as a cauliflower crust, however.
- Fold in onion, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. I also like to add in some minced carrots.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon + form into a ball before flattening it with your palm. This will get messy.
- Flour flattened patty on both sides.
- Warm oil that fills up a skillet about half an inch on medium-high.
- Place cauliflower patties in oil and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Add provolone on last flip and cook until melted.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to soak up excess oil.
- Serve plain or on a bun as you please.
These cauliflower patties make great sliders for a bbq or dinners at home. You can store them in the fridge for a few days + heat them up to eat again, or enjoy cold. Experiment with different sauces to find your perfect match. While this recipe isn’t super keto, you may be able to supplement bread crumbs for cheese + nix the flour + bun.
If you enjoyed Maria Menounos’ Cauliflower Patties, check out her cookbook filled with other great recipes, including more patties like spicy zucchini, sweet potato and more. She also has a delicious Tzatziki recipe. Let me know how your cauliflower patties adventure went over on Instagram! Don’t forget to follow Maria, too!