For the past decade or so, fitness trackers have been all the rage. Now, with the popularity of Apple Watches, even more so. These devices are capable of tracking so many things, but one of their most-used functions is step tracking. At some point in time, we all decided we needed to get 10,000 steps in a day. While a somewhat arbitrary number, the every day American should take more steps.
On average, people take 3,000-4,000 steps per day. People who work out regularly often take more. Creating a goal to take more steps is any easy way to up your overall fitness – similar to my new fitness goal which involves stair steps! The US Department of Health and Human Services recommends around 150 minutes of moderate activity per week. You can break that up into 30+ minute workouts or take several brisk walks throughout the day. No matter what you choose, walking is great for your overall health. There are several benefits to inspire you to take more steps, such as:
- Lower risk of heart disease + diabetes
- Decreased anxiety + depression
- Increased endurance
- Reduced blood pressure
- Eases joint pain
- Boost immunity
With all these benefits, it’s easy to see why you should take more steps, but it isn’t always easy to fit another thing into your day. Below are several ideas to help you take more steps in your day!
12 Ways to Take More Steps
- Walk to a bathroom further away
- Take the stairs
- Walk to ask coworkers questions instead of email or IM
- Take your phone calls on your cellphone or headset + walk while talking
- Schedule walks during your workday
- Park further from the door
- Attend a farmer’s market, festival, or outdoor event
- Take a quick walk after meals – this also aids digestion
- Walk your doggo!
- Walk around your house during commercial breaks
- Don’t take all the bags you can in one trip, take extra
- Go shopping! Head to the mall or Target + window shop
Hopefully, these ideas have inspired you to take more steps. I plan to implement a few of them into my daily routine, especially once the weather cools down. Although, I love princess parking so that may be a hard one. How do you get more in?