Veterans Day is just around the corner which means your community + mine will be having events to honor local veterans. This year, I’ve been thinking about ways we can support veterans beyond the one day per year. They sacrifice years of lives to fight for our freedom + the ideals our constitution stands for. Whether they are overseas or stationed domestically, they miss anniversaries, births, and other important events because they are called to a higher standard. Here are ten ways you can support vets next week + every day.
How to Support Veterans
- Thank them for their service. It may seem small, but showing appreciation for their sacrifice in a world where people are so often consumed with themselves can go a long way. Even a thank-you note can show them you care.
- Pick up the tab. If you see a veteran or family of a service member out to eat or in line at the store, offer to pay for their meal, cart, etc.
- Start a fundraiser. There are many causes you can support with your donations, whether it is helping homeless vets, sponsoring honor flights, or helping with medical expenses, get your community active through a bake sale, BBQ, or another fundraiser.
- Volunteer to aid an aging or disabled veteran. Drive them to doctors’ appointments, run errands, and help them housework. This a very actionable way to support veterans.
- Start a collection drive. This company sends care packages to troops and veterans through the donations of people like you + me.
- Volunteer your time. Your local VA hospital would be thrilled to have you shart your time visiting with vets who are there for surgery + other medical issues.
- Hire them! If you are in a position to hire, seek out veterans whose skills might be transferrable to your field. If you aren’t in a position to hire, find a job training program to help them with skills or practice interviews.
- Support veterans by building homes. Building Homes for Heroes and other similar charities get people together to help build homes for vets. They gift a new home every 11 days!
- As always, you can support the Wounded Warrior Project to support veterans who have been injured while serving their country.
- Support legislation + political candidates that understand the sacrifice + service these brave men + women made.
No matter how you choose to support veterans it is important that we all show continued appreciation to honor their sacrifice. Are you vet? Tell us how we can support you in the comments!