I love visiting a friend’s home. I think it is so fun to see how they decorate their personal space. Is it minimalist + monochrome or bright + boho? Someone’s home decor ideas say a lot about them.
My style has shifted a bit in the last few years from modern to more of a mid-century vibe. I’m hoping to buy a new place next year + am already daydreaming home decor ideas.
No matter how I decided to decorate, I know I’m going to want my house to feel fancy. There are plenty of things you can buy/have in your home to elevate your space without breaking the bank.
- Coffee Table Books – All of your mom’s fancy friends have coffee table books. You can find some interesting + funny ones from this list by the New York Times.
- Doormat – Your door is the first thing people see of your home. Whether you rent or own, you can style a front entry that is uniquely yours. I love a kitschy doormat it really expresses personality + serves a needed function.
- Art – There is nothing less fancy than bare walls except maybe frameless posters. Quality art is a great way to make your space feel elevated. Whether photography or paintings, get something up on your walls. Bonus points if it is from a local artist.
- Good Mattress – A solid night’s sleep is very important. It’s is time to give up your IKEA mattress + choose something that is actually comfortable. I recommend this mattress to everyone. It is so, so comfy.
- Kettle – I think every chick flick/Hallmark movie heroine has a kettle on her stove. Warming up water for tea (or any drink) on the stove instead of the microwave will definitely make you feel fancy.
- Cold Brew Maker or French Press – Speaking of making beverages, up your coffee game. You don’t have to get a Breville machine to treat yourself. Try this cold brew pour-over or French press to level up.
- Diffuser – Not only to diffusers add some moisture to your air, but they also add some amazing scents. I am loving a lavender + orange blend right now. I got my oils + diffuser here + I love them.
- Plants – A little greenery adds flair to any space. You don’t need to become a plant lady, but a nice snake plant makes an awesome addition to any space. You can also go faux with a fake fiddle leaf tree.
- Flowers – I always say I will know I’m rich when I have a flower line in my budget. They not only add a pop of color to your home, but they also add freshness + smell amazing.
Adding some elegance to your home is about more than just decor items + kitchen appliances, you can also achieve the same feeling with home features you can DIY.
Fancy Home Features
- Stocked Bar – Being able to serve your friend who stopped by a drink is the definition of fancy + is so badass.
- Open Shelving – Open shelving not only makes your space seem more open, but it also displays items you have so lovingly picked out for your home.
- Swanky Cabinet Pulls – Most builder-grade pulls are kind of ugly. Updating the pulls on your cabinets + furniture can easily elevate your living space.
- Updated Light Fixtures – Fluorescent lighting flatters no one + lighting is one of the first things that can look dated. Get new overhead lighting + add lamps to your spaces to instantly create a more welcoming + cozy space.
- Statement Wall – Give your guests + yourself something to focus on with a statement wall. Whether you use wallpaper or paint bold color/design it will immediately make your space fancier.
- Backsplash – There is a reason every home-flipping show adds a backsplash. It improves your space. If you live in a rental, try stick-on tile like this!
- Home Edit-Style Organization – If you haven’t watched his Netflix hit, you’re living under a rock. From clear containers to color coding, these methods loved by celebrities and other people who can pay hundreds of dollars to have professionals organize their homes. You can get their book to help guide your organizing journey!
- Lots of Light – Light can change a space completely. If you’re limited on windows, try choosing sheer curtains to let in as much light as possible + position mirrors across from light sources to spread the light further.
- Reading Nook – A designated space for reading? Fancy AF.
No matter your style, elevating your home is simple + affordable. I’ll be making my plans to implement these ideas before the ink is even dry on my next home.