If you’re anything like me, you already had a list of potential wedding venues the second you had a hint your might be engaged soon. Even if you aren’t like that, creating a list of potential venues is a good place to start. It’s more than just about aesthetics, there are questions you need to ask your wedding venue before + after you make your final selection. These questions are by no means complete as there are definitely certain elements that will matter to you, but this is a good place to start when meeting with a venue team.
Questions to Ask Before You Visit
You may think that you need to save all your questions for when you tour the venue, but that isn’t quite true. There are a few questions you should ask before you visit to save both your time + theirs. They will likely talk to you about all these details before even scheduling your visit.
- Are they available on your date?
- How many people can they hold?
- What is the price range?
- Anything related to deal breakers for you (ex. Do they allow pets if your plan is to have your golden serve as best man?
Questions to Ask During Your Tour
Once you know the venue has potential, go there on a tour. Hot tip: do not take too many people with you. Only take those whose opinions matter + are relevant. I went with my parents + finacé to look at our event space. Here are some of the questions you need to ask while getting your tour.
- How many events do they host per day?
- What services do they offer? Coordinator? Valet? Catering? If catering, is there a minimum?
- What is the venue fee + what is included? What is extra?
- How much is the deposit?
- Are there vendor requirements?
- What is the cancelation/postponement policy?
- Any changes planned to the venue before your wedding?
- Is there any immovable decor?
- Are tables + chairs available? If so, what kind?
- What is the inclement weather backup plan?
- What is electricity like?
- Are there noise restrictions?
Questions to Ask Your Chosen Wedding Venue
Once you have made your decision, you are not done talking! There are still a few questions you need to ask your wedding venue. Having all the information will make for the smoothest day possible.
- What time can you get to the venue?
- What time do you have to vacate the space?
- Can you visit with your florist/event planner to design the space?
- Are there any decor restrictions you need to know about?
- Do you need to provide food to venue staff?
- Who is the day-of point person for the venue?
- When do you need to have the final headcount, table arrangement, etc. to them (if they’re providing seating)?
As I said, this list is in no way exhaustive but should give you a good starting place to talk with your venue + help you limit any miscommunications. Are there any other questions you asked your wedding venue? Follow me on Instagram to see peeks of my venue! Read more of my wedding wisdom here!