Vitamin C has been a hot topic during the COVID-19 pandemic. Most of that has been in relation to boosting your immune system which it does when ingested. Fighting viruses isn’t the only one of the vitamin c benefits you should be taking advantage of – there are many. It can prevent anemia, ease gout symptoms, and improve heart help. What I want to focus on today is the vitamin c benefits for your skin.
When you think vitamin c, you are probably thinking about oranges or other citrus fruit. I am certainly not suggesting your put fruit all over your face, but luckily for you, there are other options. Before we dive into that, let’s learn about the benefits of vitamin c for your skin.
Vitamin C Benefits
Vitamin C has many great qualities which can have major benefits. It contains hydrating + antioxidant properties which brighten + detox your skin. It helps even the dullest complexion become radiant + youthful. Vitamin C provides benefits by
- boosting cell regeneration + speeds up the natural turnover process.
- getting rid of dead skin cells.
- fighting free radicals + minimizing the impact of environmental stress.
- reducing inflammation.
- supporting moisture through enhancing barrier liquids + limits transepidermal water loss.
- impeding melanin production + reducing the appearance of dark spots.
- stimulating collagen production +stabilizes existing collagen.
- reducing wrinkles + fine lines since it reduces radical damage to collagen + elastin.
- contributing to firmer + more elastic skin.
- protecting against UV light + sun damage.
- promoting healing of wounds.
With all these vitamin c benefits, it is easy to see why so many people, myself included, are adding it to their everyday skincare routine. You can easily work it into yours, too!
How to Use Vitamin C
There are many ways vitamin c can be incorporated into your skincare routine. There is no one size fits all answer + likely no wrong way to do so. You don’t need to switch out all your products for ones that contain vitamin c to get benefits, but choosing one can help you see a difference. Pick what’s right for you.
- Serum – this is likely the most popular way to use vitamin c. I added this serum to my morning routine + I can immediately tell a difference when I put it on. My skin feels fresh + bright.
- Micellar Water – this is one of my favorite products + it now comes in a version with vitamin c! I use a different version of this product to take my makeup off.
- Tonic – I used pixie glow tonic every day to help tone my skin, but it also comes in a vitamin c version! You’ll follow this up with a serum and/or moisturizer.
- Mask – you know I love a face mask + all the good they do. I got this one for Christmas + it has been a great addition to my mask rotation.
- Moisturizer – the hydrating benefits of vitamin c make it a perfect addition to a moisturizer. This one is great to fight aging skin + keep your skin hydrated.
- Lunch – consuming vitamin c can help your skin glow from the inside out.
Be sure to check your other products before adding anything new. You may really want the vitamin c benefits, but it can’t mix with everything. My nighttime serum straight up says not to use it with vitamin c. Not sure what to do? Ask your dermatologist.
Curious about how other vitamins + minerals can improve your skin? Learn why you might want to add aloe to your skincare routine.